Saturday, March 17, 2007

Something New

Well, after a bit of though, I've finally decided once and for all to quit bitching (as much) to my friends and family and complain in a place where everyone can see, share, and bitch back.

So let's begin by learning a bit about me. I'm 20, soon to be 21, and a lifelong resident of The 'Borough. I went to gradeschool in Manayunk (the now defunct Polish Prison), and highschool in the 'burbs due to the aweful state of our public schools. I currently attend Drexel University (maybe you'll hear some good tidbits about University City and Center City here, but there are already plenty of people who blog about that).

What do I want to come of this blog? I really don't know, to be honest. It's really going to take shape in the coming weeks and months as I write more, and maybe someone reads it. We'll see where it goes. I DO know, however, what I want out of my neighborhood.
I want:
-something to do on a Friday Night
-something to do on a Saturday Night
-something to do AT ALL
-a clean place to hang out outside
-a non-bar concert venue
-a store on Ridge Ave. that ISN'T a seedy pager/cell phone shop or a defunct Farmer's Market turned "development group" headquarters
-local kids/young adults/people who AREN'T total d-bags

So come on, guys, I know you're out there. I know there have to be some people who like it enough here, but are just plain sick of alot of the crap that goes on. Let me know what you think, what you want, why you hate me, whatever. Also, feel free to vent about the city, SEPTA (Lord know's I'll be bitching about that...) or whatever else goes on around here. Talk about places you've eaten (Bob's Diner is aweful. There, I said it), coffee houses (Why the hell isn't the new place on Ridge open late?), events, things to do, anything at all.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm your new biggest fan, Mr. Trash. Can I call you Mr. Trash? It's a good hook. It sounds insulting, but I mean it with all due respect. Roxborough could have a lot going for it. There're hundreds of families, thousands of young people (I think) and some spiffy new restaurants in Andorra if you believe what's written on wikipedia. That's how I found this blog. Smart move, Mr. Trash. I wonder if we ever crossed paths before I left the 'hood. Polish prison... Do you by chance mean Dobson's sweatshop?

Unknown said...

haha no, the Polish Prison is St. Josaphat's, a now closed catholic gradeschool. So where'd you go to school? when did you graduate/leave the borough?

kaci58 said...

first of all let me say i'm new to this bloggin thing but not to bitchin about the "boro". i was saying the same exact things like i wanna move out of here as soon as i can and why isn't there every anything to do, but then i did move and 2 months later i moved back. it's weird but it's really comfy in our little corner of the city, i mean you could actually walk around by yourself (see i'm a girl) at 2 in the morning and not think anything of it. plus i have a little girl now and it would be nice for her to know everyone around here like i do. and about the boredom what do you guys suggest they put in? what is there to do any where when your 15-20, NOTHING! except sit places and drink or engage in other "activities". i've been tryin to think of things for a while now and i haven't had much luck, my only conciliation is that people are bored everywhere. BTW St. Josaphats had the best dances when i was in grade school!

Anonymous said...

You can always get a job at the Y to keep yourself busy, check
http://www.myfirstpaycheck.com/joblistings/job.php?job=60
here for more information

Anonymous said...

The borough is an elastic mold that grows on you. You want get as far away from it as possible and as soon as possible. The only problem is the longer and further you get away from it the stronger it begins to pull you back. It is an endless manayunk hill that you can fall down as long as possible or try to climb it forever.